Friday, August 30, 2013

They Just Wanted My Attention

I have been so busy doing free lance work that I haven't been really paying my kids any attention. Even doing homeschooling time, I was present in the room physically but not there mentally.  My kiddos kept acting out which is something completely out of character for them, they are usually well behave. But for two weeks, I have had my head buried in my laptop or my cellphone , answering emails and sending out invoices. The only time I would look up from these two items that had my attention was to fuss at them about doing something that they had no business doing. It gotten to the point where I yelled basically all day, which was out of character for me, that I went to bed thinking what on earth have gotten into my children?!

Then I realized , I wasn't paying any attention or spending time with them. They could sense it and they love the time we spend together. The only way to get my attention was by doing something negative. which in turn would cause me to look up to fuss at  them. It got me thinking how many more kids are out there acting up on purpose just to get their parent's attention??? I knew what I had to do, I had to put down my cellphone and laptop and actually spend time with my children. They needed it more than anything. Sure I was busy working trying to make sure the bills got paid but they are kids and they don't fully understand that. I don't want them to look back at their childhood and be like, my mom was too busy working to spend time with us. I want them to remember all the fun times we had together. 

I felt like an awful mother, My kids were crying out for my attention and I was refusing to give it to them.  I would yell at them to leave me alone cause I was stress out and they weren't the ones to blame. I didn't want them to think that they couldn't come to me with their problems no matter how small or big it may be. I want them to be able to come to me with anything. 

My goal as a single parent is to make sure, I always make time for my kids. So for now on during certain times of the day, my cellphone is on do not disturb, and my laptop is put away. No calls, texts, or emails will be answered because my kids come first. I want to enjoy every minute of their childhood before they are off to college and I am home alone with an empty nest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment has been submitted and is now awaiting approval by our administration team